FMC has partnered with Envision to continue it’s civic education mission. The program has a series of bipartisan pairs of former Members speak to groups of 250-300 middles school students visiting Washington, DC about Congress and their experience as Members of Congress.
- June 21: Dan Maffei (D-NY, 2009-2011, 2013-2015) and Nancy Johnson (R-CT, 1983-2007)
- June 22: Chet Edwards (D-TX, 1991-2011) and Dan Burton (R-IN, 1983-2014)
- June 28: Martin Frost (D-TX, 1979-2005) and Michael Flanagan (R-IL, 1995-1997)
- June 29: Martin Frost (D-TX, 1979-2005) and Michael Flanagan (R-IL, 1995-1997)
- July 12: Karen Thurman (D-FL, 1993-2003)
- July 13: Bob Walker (R-PA, 1977-1997)
- July 26: Martin Frost (D-TX, 1979-2005)
- July 27: Ron Sarasin (R-CT, 1973-1979)
- August 2: Bill Sarparlius (D-TX, 1989-1995 ) and Ron Sarasin (R-CT, 1973-1979)
- August 3: Bill Sarparlius (D-TX, 1989-1995) and Ron Sarasin (R-CT, 1973-1979)
- August 10: Ken Kramer (R-CO, 1979-1987 ) and Democrat TBA
2015-2016 School Year
Over the 2015-2016 school year several former Members meet with students and teachers participating in the Ford’s Theatre’s Oratory Program. Former Members from across the country shared their experience in preparing, and giving speeches and the insight and impact they may have. FMC will again participate, and hope to grow our involvement, in the program for the 2016-2017 school year. Below is a link to the finale for the program– presentations in the Ford Theatre in Washington, DC.
After many years of partnering with the People to People Ambassadors Programs to more actively engage former Members with America’s youth (grades 5-12) People to People closed it’s doors at the end of 2015. Former Members had held discussions with students about their own leadership roles in our nation’s Congress, as well as broader themes of being an effective leader. Together, students and former Members discuss personal setbacks, triumphs, and stories to better prepare the leaders of the near future.
The FMC partners with National Young Leaders Conference to more actively engage former Members with America’s youth (grades 9-12). Former Members speak to a group of high school students visiting Washington to learn firsthand how government works.
Please email Sharon West Witiw email@example.com if you are interested in participating!