November 8th-15th: Fall Study Tour to Normandy France
FMC is partnering with the Association of Canadian Former Parliamentarians on this Study Tour. http://www.exparl.ca/ The Tour is limited to 40 group members total, and since we are partnering with the Canadians, we only have room for 10 former Members plus one guest. We cannot allow Members more than one guest.
We will accept requests on a first-come/first-serve based on deposit received. Please call FMC Members Services Manager, Sharon Witiw 202-507-4847 to provide information for the deposit. We will not be able to permit a cancellation with 100% refund (but will start a waiting list so if someone cancels they can reach out to another former Member to take their two spots). If, as of July 15 we do not have our 20 group participants, we can then open it up for additional guests for former Members.
Tour schedule- (note: some details still being confirmed):
Saturday, November 8th
- Arrival in Paris. This day is at your leisure to relax or exploring Paris on your own.
- Scribe Hotel
Sunday, November 9th
- The night in Paris. Breakfast provided.
- Welcome dinner.
- Scribe Hotel
Monday, November 10th
- Leaving Paris, drive west to Caen for lunch at Le Karousel Restaurant
- Next drive a short distance to Courseulles Sur Mer
- 11:00am: Visit to Juno Center
- 1:00pm : Lunch at La Cremaillere
- 2.30pm : Visit of Mike Red (Graye /Mer), Nan Geen (Bernières/Mer),
- 3.30pm: Canadian Cemetery of Beny/Mer, Lay of wreath,
- 4.15pm : Abbaye d’Ardennes
- 4.45pm : Departure to Canisy
- Dinner is at Chateau de Canisy
- OVERNIGHT: CHATEAU DE CANISY,CANISY (OR NEIGHBORING CHATEAU)
Tuesday, November 11th
OMAHA BEACH & AMERICAN CEMETERY OF NORMANDY
- Departure at 9am
- 9:50am to 12:00 : Visit and ceremony
- 12.15 : Lunch at “Omaha Restaurant” & walk on the beach with tour guid
- 2:30 pm : Departure to Utah,
- 3.15 pm : Visit of the bunker, monuments and Memorial of Utah, followed by visit of the Museum
- 5pm : Departure to Canisy with photostop at Sainte-Mère-Eglise on the way back.
- Return to Canisy at round 6:00pm
Wednesday, November 12th
- Motor south to Villedieu Des Poeles for some time to sightseeing
- Lunch is at a local restaurant as arranged by your group leader.
- Then travel to Mont Saint Michel and independently explore the area.
- After a day of tourning return to Canisy for dinner and overnight stay.
Thursday, November 13th
- After breakfast, drive a short distance to Caen from some free time.
- Journey northeast into Belgium
- Dinner and lunch to be arranged
- Check into your hotel for your overnight stay. Hotel information to be provided shortly
Friday, November 14th
- Travel south to Vimy and tour of Vimy ridge Memorial.
- visit the Flanders Field Museum and attend a Bugle Ceremony.
- Dinner and stay at hotel.
Saturday, November 15th
- Departure for airport in Paris and flights back to the U.S.Breakfast provided.
Space is strictly limited. Spaces are filled on a first come first receipt of deposit basis. If you are interested in joining the group please call FMC member service manager, Sharon Witiw to make a deposit. 202-507-4847.=